Porcelain is known for being a sturdy, durable, and clean material while simultaneously being soft and pleasing to the eye. Stemming from China over a millennia ago, porcelain was first used as a material for everyday goods, such as plates, cups, and dishes. Intricately decorated pieces of porcelain would be often used as gifts, and eventually, porcelain was used more ornately, manifesting in ornate trinkets and statues for the upper classes of society. In the kitchen, there are many benefits to choosing porcelain ceramics over weaker materials.
1. Durability - One of the biggest advantages of porcelain in kitchenware is its durability. While porcelain ceramic may look soft and easy to break due to its sleekness and beauty, porcelain in reality is quite strong. Its non-porousness and strength come from the intense heat during the porcelain-making process, being fired in a kiln between 1,200 and 1,400 °C (or 2,200 to 2,400 °F)
2. Heat Resistance - Porcelain’s heat resistance is proven at the intensely high temperatures needed to craft porcelain ceramics. Don’t worry about tossing your dish in the microwave, as it pales in comparison to the fiery kiln it was forged in. From the oven to the dishwasher, to the freezer, porcelain kitchenware is known to withstand it all.
3. Cleanliness - Not only do well-crafted porcelain ceramics have an anti-microbial effect, but porcelain also has a smooth, nonporous, and glassy finish to it, making it incredibly easy to clean after cooking or eating. Water and dish soap will remove any grease and oil right off your porcelain ceramic kitchenware.
4. Versatility - Porcelain ceramics now come in plenty of shapes and sizes, with a vast array of colors. Whether you need an aesthetic decorative piece, to colorful plates to match a celebration, porcelain ceramics are high-quality reusable pieces you can mix and match for any occasion.
Knowing the advantages of porcelain ceramics can help in choosing which porcelain kitchenware you may want to try. Porcelain ceramic cups and plates are by far the most practical and commonly used. It’s easy to clean, avoids stains, is resistant to bacteria, and is versatile in designs to match the occasion you’re celebrating or serving for. Generally, porcelain ceramic dinnerware can be found in five-piece settings. These are a small collection of different porcelain or ceramic pieces that fulfill all the needs of one person; It comes with a dinner plate, a salad or dessert plate, a bread plate, and a teacup and saucer. These collections are great for anyone trying to build up their kitchen.
But there are other pieces of kitchenware you might not have thought of that would benefit greatly from all the advantages porcelain ceramics brings. Oils are sticky, messy, and hard to clean off and out of containers. With porcelain, cleaning out oils is simple and easy, whether by hand or dishwasher, the oil comes right off due to the smooth and nonporous texture porcelain ceramics bring. Some items, such as an oil bottle, would keep the oil contents clean with porcelain's antimicrobial properties, and once the bottle has emptied, cleaning the bottle takes only a bit of hot water and soap, ready to be used again. If you’ve ever had trouble figuring out where to place a messy, saucy, spoon while making a delicious plate of pasta, a spoon rest would also be incredibly helpful in your kitchen arsenal, keeping away germs from your sauce, and a quick and easy to clean piece of kitchenware to prevent any messiness in your kitchen. Or, if you’ve ever needed a container for spices or salt, a salt cellar would be a great addition to your porcelain collection, keeping moisture and other undesirables away from those key pieces of your cooking. Here at The Bright Angle, we have a wide array of porcelain ceramic kitchenware to keep your kitchen clean, chic, and mess-free.
Another great use for porcelain in the kitchen is porcelain enamel cookware. Porcelain enamel is a durable, non-corroding layer coating another material, usually stainless steel or iron. Such metals are used in a wide array of products and porcelain enamel is an economic way of protecting them. Not only do you get the benefits of stainless steel cookware, but you also get the pros of porcelain in the kitchen, such as ease of cleaning, low porosity, and durability. Some staples in the kitchen may include a porcelain enamel dutch oven, commonly used for slow-cooking stews, soups, and sauces, all of which can get oily in their own right, but the porcelain coating makes the cooking and cleaning process much easier on the cook. They also come in a wide array of beautiful colors to choose from. Porcelain enamel can also be used for oven trays. With the nonstick surfaces of porcelain enamel, baking pies or roasting in the oven won't result in fighting the tray at the end of cooking.
Porcelain makes a strong case for one of, if not the best material for cookware in the kitchen. Its durability, cleanliness, and overall chicness make it a higher quality than other materials or ceramics. If you ever need to fill your kitchen with new cookware or need some dishes to host a party, or just need some quality-of-life assistance when cooking, porcelain is always the way to go.
The Bright Angle’s Nesting Bowls are handmade from porcelain, the noblest ceramic material, that surpasses both terra-cotta and stoneware clay in quality.
- The largest bowl in the set is 12.5" x 10.75" x 5.75"
- The medium bowl is 9.5" x 8.75" x 5.5"
- The small bowl is 7.15" x 6" x 4.25"
- Handmade from porcelain
Our Ceramic Salt Cellar was designed with care to be the last salt container you’ll ever need. Store your salts inside its circular interior for smooth and easy access while cooking, so you can season your favorite foods without having to search for salt in your spice cabinet.
- The Salt Cellar measures 3.75" tall x 3.75" wide x 2" deep
- Handmade from porcelain
- Dishwasher & Microwave Safe
Our Utensil Crock is perfectly sized to hold all of your essential kitchen utensils – wooden spoons, ladles and more – so you can say goodbye to clutter filled drawers. Everything you need to make home cooked meals will soon reside within an arm’s distance.
- The Utensil Crock is 5" x 5" x 6.5"
- Dishwasher & Microwave Safe
- Handmade from Porcelain